Learn to cook Leche Flan Recipe
Leche Flan Recipe (from leche, Spanish for milk) is a caramel custard, made with eggs, milk and sugar and flavored with vanilla. It originated from the regions along the border of France and Spain and was brought to the Philippines at the time of Spanish colonization.
The ingredients are mixed and poured in an oval or round pan which is then placed in a larger pan of water and cooked on a stove or in an oven. The dessert, once firm, is chilled before serving. The sugar, after cooking, turns into a caramel syrup that coats the custard.
Lumpia Shanghai Ingredients:
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 can (300ml) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tall can (370ml) evaporated milk
- 1 tsp. of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp water
Lumpia Shanghai cooking Instructions:
- In a 6-inch round pan combine sugar and water then melt it over low heat until it starts to bubble and the syrup turns into light brown. Turn off the heat and let the caramel cools down and harden. If using 2 Llanera’s divide sugar and water and do the same process, let it cools down and set aside.
- To make the leche flan mixture, in a mixing bowl combine whole eggs, egg yolks, condensed milk, evaporated milk and vanilla essence and mix until well blended. Strain leche flan “egg custard” mixture to get rid some lumps and air bubbles.
- Gently pour the mixture on top of the harden caramel fill the pan. If using Llaneras divide the mixture into 2 and cover Llanera’s individually with aluminum foil and steam for about 20 minutes. Or you can bake for about 35-40 minutes. But before baking the Leche Flan, you have to preheat the oven to 370 degrees, and place the round pan or Llanera with flan mixture on a larger baking pan half filled with hot water. You can tell when your Leche Flan is cooked by inserting a knife and it comes out clean you’re done. Let it cool at room temperature or refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- To serve: run a thin knife around the edges of the Llanera or round pan to loosen the flan. Place a platter on top of the mold and quickly turn upside down to position the golden brown caramel on top.